Thursday 24 October 2013

Homemade soy yoghurt

I just can't keep up with the amount of yoghurt my family is eating since I started to make my own soy yoghurt.
It's yummy, it's cheap and it's as easy as making a cup of tea. Here's how I do it:

You will need:
1 carton of UHT soymilk
1 Easiyo jar and insulator
boiling water
yoghurt starter


Step 1.
Boil the kettle



                                                 Step 2
                                                 Clean and sterilise the yoghurt jar









Step 3
Pour the UHT soy milk into the yogurt jar
Step 4
Sprinkle in a tiny amount of yogurt starter culture
Step 5
Put the lid on and shake the jar

Step 6
Put the bevel into the insulator and add boiling water only up to the bottom of the bevel
 
 
Step 7
Put the yoghurt jar into the insulator and put on the lid





 
Step 8
Leave for 8-10 hours
Step 9
Remove the yoghurt from the insulator and chill.
Then it is time to ENJOY

YUM
 
Notes
About 15 years ago I used to make soy yoghurt from an Easiyo packet mix. Probably due to poor sales the soy yoghurt packet mix disappeared from the shelves. I pretty much gave up making yoghurt at that stage and gave my Easiyo maker away.
Recently, after some internet research I decided to give the soy yogurt making another go. I experimented with different ways to insulate the milk for the required length of time to produce yoghurt with varying degrees of success. Once I settled on my method, I decided to buy another Easiyo and use it. I was using commercial soy yoghurt as my culture, but my success rate was very hit and miss. Plus, I was also mixing in powdered soymilk to try and thicken the yoghurt and give it a more creamy consistency.
 
Then I found a website where I could buy non dairy yoghurt culture.  It was nice and cheap and they delivered to my address.
It was with some trepidation that I used the culture the first time.  It was not very clear about how much to use, just a tiny amount was all that was necessary.
The first batch was an outstanding success, and the family loved it. Since then I  have been making soy yoghurt regularly and it always works. It's so easy and so delicious.  The only failure I had was when I decided to get clever and branch out and try and make yoghurt out of Chai and Quinoa milk.  Big mistake, it just didn't work at all.
 
One litre of yoghurt costs a little over $2.  About $2 for the carton of milk and the culture which was about $25 for 100 doses. Recently I purchased milk at half price. I bought up a lot because being UHT it has a nice long shelf life. The cost of my yoghurt making has dropped dramatically to about $1.25 a litre.
 
The advantage of using UHT milk is that you don't need to scald the milk. That means one less step in the yoghurt making process and less washing up!
 

 
 
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment